Getting out of credit card debt and private student loan debt are two of the primary advantages of hiring an attorney to handle your debt settlement. I will take you through the reasons to hire a debt settlement lawyer in Los Angeles, so that you can see if it is the right move for your particular financial situation.
As you can read from my client debt relief success stories, getting out of debt and saving money are the fundamental reasons to hire a debt settlement lawyer in Los Angeles. For instance, my client owed $8,410 to Citibank. In one phone call, I negotiated a debt settlement and reduced her debt to $1,850 – which is a savings of 75% if the total debt due!
Reasons to Hire a Debt Settlement Lawyer in Los Angeles
Getting out of credit card debt and student loan debt, improving your long-term credit score, ending debt collector harassment, debt lawsuit defense, and saving money are the main reasons to hire a debt settlement lawyer in Los Angeles. When I am asked, do I need a debt settlement attorney – the answer is simple. If you haven’t been able to make your credit card payments in over 180 days, if your credit card or student loan is in default and/or you are being sued by your lender – then most likely the answer is yes.
A debt settlement is a negotiation between the borrower (you) and the debt collector that you will pay back (an often greatly) reduced amount of the total debt in a lump sum or over a period of time. A debt settlement can only be reached once your credit card account is in default (you haven’t made a payment in 180 days), because at this point your loan is considered unlikely to be paid back. That doesn’t mean you don’t still owe the full amount of your debt. You very much do. At this point, the banks can receive tax exemptions on your debt even though you owe every dime and will most likely be sued to recover that debt.
As I recently wrote about, it’s not just credit card borrowers who enjoy the benefits of hiring a debt settlement lawyer, but student loan borrowers as well. What happens if you default on a student loan is very similar to defaulting on credit card debt (if the student loan is not a federal loan).
Benefits of hiring a debt settlement lawyer
- A debt relief lawyer has the negotiating skills to deal with the experienced attorneys that represent the big banks. The debt collectors have vast resources of lawyers at their fingertips that do nothing but sue people all day every day for debt. You need to make sure you have a lawyer for debt negotiation and settlement.
- If you are sued for non-payment of debt, then you need a debt defense lawyer to defend you in a collection lawsuit. If you hire a debt settlement “company” instead of a real attorney, then you have no help in defending a A debt relief lawyer has the negotiating skills to deal with the experienced attorneys that represent the big banks. The debt collectors have vast resources of lawyers at their fingertips that do nothing but sue people all day every day for debt. You need to make sure you have a lawyer for debt negotiation and settlement.collection lawsuit. On top of paying the debt settlement company, you will have to pay for an attorney to defend you in a collection lawsuit.
- Your goal in a debt settlement should not be just to get out of debt, but to also save money. As my clients will tell you, the savings I offer them on their debt far outweighs my attorney fees. I make it a practice to offer my clients the most competitive fees that I can get away with.
- A debt settlement lawyer can validate your debt, which is the first step in defending a debt collection lawsuit. Oftentimes, data snafus in the lawsuit filed such as the wrong phone number, address, and dollar amounts – can get the lawsuit dismissed.
- Much of the time whoever you borrowed money from in the first place has sold your debt to a debt buyer to collect. A debt settlement attorney who has built relationships in the industry will have a much easier time navigating the chain of ownership involved with your debt
- Debt settlement lawyers are held to ethical standards under the law. They have a legal obligation to put the needs of their clients first. This is not the case with “debt settlement companies” who often get caught up in debt relief scams preying on people in already vulnerable situations.
Hire a Lawyer for Debt Settlement in Los Angeles
If you are still wondering why you should hire a debt settlement lawyer in Los Angeles, then give me a call at 213-315-0050. I offer a 100% free consultation to go over your specific debt issues and map out a plan to get you out of debt. My debt settlement lawyer fees are customized to meet your financial means. Once you hire a lawyer for debt settlement, your phone will stop ringing from debt collectors and all correspondence from the debt collectors will now go through your lawyer. If you are in need of debt help, the time to get started is now. The debt collectors are well prepared to sue you and win if you don’t have a solid legal defense. Hiring a Los Angeles debt settlement attorney could be the smartest move you make in getting out of debt.
Daniel R. Gamez, an attorney focusing exclusively in debt relief, is licensed to practice in all state and federal courts in California and Texas. Mr. Gamez owns and operates the Gamez Law Firm in San Diego and Los Angeles, California. For more information, please contact Daniel Gamez at 858-217-5051, daniel@gamezl